From phpBB Development Wiki
Revision as of 00:48, 11 October 2013 by Bantu
This page highlights important changes in phpBB 3.1.0-A1
For a complete list of changes, please refer to this report.
- Extensions - Replacing MODs, Extensions are a new contribution type that require no file edits for installation. They can be easily installed via the ACP.
- AJAX - Several functions use AJAX to perform actions without a page reload.
- Notifications - Certain actions users perform while using your board will generate notifications to affected users. For instance, users can be notified when they are quoted in a post. There are multiple notification methods, including board notification and email notification. This feature can be expanded upon by extensions to add notification types (e.g. mentioning a user) and notifications methods (e.g. text message).
- Soft Delete - Posts and topics can now be "soft" deleted (i.e. removed from public view but retained in the database) to allow greater control over access of potentially unwanted posts and topics. Permissions dictate separately who can soft delete and who can hard delete posts.
- Gravatar - Avatars may now be fetched from the Gravatar service, in addition to the previously available options (upload, URL, and gallery).
- OAuth Login - Login or register using Google, Bit.ly, or Facebook. Extensions can take advantage of this feature to add new authentication services.
- More Search Plugins - Besides MySQL Fulltext and phpBB native, PostgreSQL Fulltext and Sphinx are now supported.
Notable Changes / Bug Fixes
- Better Timezone handling - DST is now automatic
- Last topic in forum list - The title of the topic with the most recent post is now displayed as a link in the forum list along with the username and date.
- Improved Page Titles - Browser page titles now begin with the forum/topic name, rather than the site name (which is now at the end).
- Text-based Buttons - Large buttons, such as Post Reply and New Topic, are now CSS and text, rather than images.
- Improved Team Page - The team page is now better organized and can be customised via the ACP.
- Resumable Attachment Downloads - Downloads of Attachments can now be resumed after being interrupted or paused.
Notable Backend Changes
- Twig Template Engine - The template engine has been replaced with Twig while maintaining syntax compatibility.